Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bushtec mod  (Read 1532 times)

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
Bushtec mod
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:38:13 PM »

So I decided it would be nice to have a charge point or cigarette lighter outlet in the Bushtec. Thought it would be nice to be able to charge cell phones, I-pod, e-book etc. while traveling down the road. I also wanted to be able to do this with the trailer detached from the bike as well as run the interior light. As you can see in the attached pictures I installed the port at the rear of the trailer next to the latch. I also installed a self contained gel cell battery box with an integrated charger. This piece is actually a breakaway battery device for full sized trailers. It supplies battery voltage for electric brakes on a trailer in the event it breaks away from your tow vehicle. I used this setup because it contains a small 12v gel cell with an integrated charger and led’s to show charging and battery level. It’s wired so it only charges when the bike is on and will not run the bike’s battery down. I attached the box with several strips of Velcro directly to the carpet, seems pretty sturdy.

If anyone’s interested I can post a schematic……. Love that trailer, it’s even better now! :2vrolijk_21:
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Re: Bushtec mod
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:38:48 PM »

2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:07:14 AM »

Nice and yes, post the schematic!

So I decided it would be nice to have a charge point or cigarette lighter outlet in the Bushtec. Thought it would be nice to be able to charge cell phones, I-pod, e-book etc. while traveling down the road. I also wanted to be able to do this with the trailer detached from the bike as well as run the interior light. As you can see in the attached pictures I installed the port at the rear of the trailer next to the latch. I also installed a self contained gel cell battery box with an integrated charger. This piece is actually a breakaway battery device for full sized trailers. It supplies battery voltage for electric brakes on a trailer in the event it breaks away from your tow vehicle. I used this setup because it contains a small 12v gel cell with an integrated charger and led’s to show charging and battery level. It’s wired so it only charges when the bike is on and will not run the bike’s battery down. I attached the box with several strips of Velcro directly to the carpet, seems pretty sturdy.

If anyone’s interested I can post a schematic……. Love that trailer, it’s even better now! :2vrolijk_21:

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:30 AM »

The drawing is a bit crude but should help.

At the bike, under the seat, I connected the trailer 12 volt line, black wire, to the running lights line on the output side of the trailer isolator, green wire.  This will only supply 12v to the trailer when the running lights are on. In the trailer I cut the black wire and connected it to the input of the breakaway box, black wire. I connected the output of the breakaway box, blue wire,  to the black wire  that was cut earlier. This is the side that feeds the interior light which I also connected to the charge port. The white wire of the breakaway box was connected to the white ground wire in the trailer. Note, I put 5 amp inline fuses in the black wire feeding the trailer, under the seat,  and the blue 12v line from the battery box.

With this setup the bikes battery is isolated from the trailer interior light and charge port so you can’t run down the bikes battery by leaving the interior light on. It also allows you to have light and charging abilities when the trailer is disconnected from the bike.

Let me know if there are any questions.......

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »

Thanks!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »

Very nice mod.  Thanks for sharing.  Question about the charge port.  It is flush with the carpet on the inside so it must protrude through the trailer body shell.  Does it fit up into the trailer lights housing?  That is my best guess looking at the pic.  If so are you running the incandescent or the LEDs?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:22:37 PM »

That's nice.  I didn't get nearly that fancy.  Just hung a dongle with a female power plug on it.  Keep it in the little bag velcro'd to the carpet.  Pretty sure the parts bill was two dollars.

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »

Very nice mod.  Thanks for sharing.  Question about the charge port.  It is flush with the carpet on the inside so it must protrude through the trailer body shell.  Does it fit up into the trailer lights housing?  That is my best guess looking at the pic.  If so are you running the incandescent or the LEDs?

There's quite a bit of room behind the area where I mounted the port so it didn't protrude into the shell at all. The entire piece that covers the tail light housings is removable with two thumb screws so access is easy. The area where I mounted the port is wide open and all the wiring is there. I'll get a picture with the cover off. I'm using incandescent lights still but would like to convert to LEDs.
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »

That's nice.  I didn't get nearly that fancy.  Just hung a dongle with a female power plug on it.  Keep it in the little bag velcro'd to the carpet.  Pretty sure the parts bill was two dollars.

Hey Don,

That's a pretty good price. I think I had about $70 in mine, looks like yours is a bit more reasonable. Still a handy addition.....  :2vrolijk_21:
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 01:05:36 PM »

Hey Don,

That's a pretty good price. I think I had about $70 in mine, looks like yours is a bit more reasonable. Still a handy addition.....  :2vrolijk_21:

You kept your interior light though.  I ditched mine.  It showed signs of perhaps not having turned off sometime in its life and getting a bit warm.  So removed it and just stubbed right off the leads to the light.  Pretty sure I was feeling lazy that night.

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »

You kept your interior light though.  I ditched mine.  It showed signs of perhaps not having turned off sometime in its life and getting a bit warm.  So removed it and just stubbed right off the leads to the light.  Pretty sure I was feeling lazy that night.

You got that right, the light does get really hot if on for very long. That's one I need to see if there is an LED replacement available for the bulb. Might check that out this evening.....
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »

There's quite a bit of room behind the area where I mounted the port so it didn't protrude into the shell at all. The entire piece that covers the tail light housings is removable with two thumb screws so access is easy. The area where I mounted the port is wide open and all the wiring is there. I'll get a picture with the cover off. I'm using incandescent lights still but would like to convert to LEDs.
I did that a couple years ago and really like the LEDs.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »

I did that a couple years ago and really like the LEDs.   :2vrolijk_21:

Where did you get them and do you have part #'s??

Thanks
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »

Here's a couple shots of how the charge port is mounted. (taken from the front of the trailer looking back) It ends up between the latch assembly and the tail light assembly housing. This is a Quantum Sport trailer so not sure how other models are setup.....
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »

2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.