Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: installed XM today where did you mount your module?  (Read 3333 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: installed XM today where did you mount your module?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »

It's looking like Marvin Moore at Proteam HD in Lawton, OK; and Mano's dealer both installed the XM antenna (I'll assume that's what you mean when you say module) on top of the Ipod module. How'd they secure it?

Anybody else do anything different?

Mine is tore apart at the dealer and I'd like to give them some sage advice about where to install it. Tech thought the base might be magnetic. It's not, is it?

Thanks.

The pic that Mano posted is an XM antenna for an external XM receiver--possible a GPS unit with XM built in. The module that others are referring to is a factory XM receiver that looks exactly like the IPOD module and has a separate antenna that mounts to a bracket on the inner fairing. When trying to mount the XM module on top of the IPOD module it hits the inner fairing since it is slightly higher than the factory amp.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 01:12:51 AM »

Give Scott (141_starlifter) a call or email; he'd probably sell you one to see if it worked with the OEM amp and if it didn't, take it back with refund.  The bracket mounts the modules below the radio, and the bracket has been used to mount the Arc 125.2 on top.  Granted the OEM SESG2 amp is taller than the Arc amp, but his bracket, if it works, is probably the best solution available and worth a shot.  Beats having an XM module sitting in a box if it can't be installed.  The bracket is in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61136.0;topicseen

I have the bracket and test fit it last week-end.  Works exactly as Scott intended; well-made; and the module (CB in my case) fits securley on the bottom shelf of the bracket.  Can't help with the question of whether the SESG2 amp will work or not, but it's a good product.  Hope you find a solution.

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 07:19:35 AM »

Give Scott (141_starlifter) a call or email; he'd probably sell you one to see if it worked with the OEM amp and if it didn't, take it back with refund.  The bracket mounts the modules below the radio, and the bracket has been used to mount the Arc 125.2 on top.  Granted the OEM SESG2 amp is taller than the Arc amp, but his bracket, if it works, is probably the best solution available and worth a shot.  Beats having an XM module sitting in a box if it can't be installed.  The bracket is in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61136.0;topicseen

I have the bracket and test fit it last week-end.  Works exactly as Scott intended; well-made; and the module (CB in my case) fits securley on the bottom shelf of the bracket.  Can't help with the question of whether the SESG2 amp will work or not, but it's a good product.  Hope you find a solution.

Carl

Hey Carl - see my bold text above. While it will work with the Arc 125.2 - it wasn't designed for the 125.2 amp. It was designed for mounting a PBR300-4 Rockford amp. I just got done mounting mine and will be providing Scott (great guy) feedback on my install.

It won't work with the SESG2 factory amp setup. As I feared, there is too much space between the top of the radio and the bracket (~1/4") so the holes will not line up for securing the SESG2 amp to the top of the radio. Also, I am leary of the fact that if you could (it's possible of course) modify the SESG2 amp by cutting the factory mount holes/retention tabs and securing with body tape - the fairing would more than likely hit (don't know for sure ... didn't mount the outer fairing). I simply can't recommend this bracket for use on an SESG2  - IF and ONLY if - you want to retain the factory SESG2 amp.

That being said (and as you pointed out) - this is a TERRIFIC product for moving HD "modules" and providing a base for certain after-market amps. I love it - just what I needed for where I am going with audio. Hats off to you Scott!!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »

TIF2 (Rich), thanks for posting on your use of Scott's bracket.  As you said, the bracket was designed for use with the RF amp (hence the holes for mounting that specific amp), will work with at least one or more other aftermarket amps. 

And as you said, because the bracket installs using the two screws that would normally be used to mount the SESG2 amp and iPod module to the HK radio, but must also clear the ridge on the HK radio that runs fore and aft, the hole in the mounting tab for the SESG2 amp won't line up with the bracket holes for the screws to the HK.

Perhaps you could test fit the SESG2 amp by placing it on top of Scott's bracket w/o, of course using the tab on the amp to secure it to the bracket.  If the amp hits the outer fairing, that's pretty conclusive proof the bracket won't work with Scott's bracket, at least w/o modifying/removing the tab and reorienting the amp on the bracket.

If the amp passes the first test, put something under the amp to simulate Velcro and see if the amp hits the outer fairing.  I suggest Velcro because Hawg-wired, Hogtunes, Arc (in its MPAK kits for installing the Arc 125.2) all use Velcro to secure their amps to the HK.

I'm not suggesting that you undo your installation of the Arc 125.2 amp.  The "tests" are what I had in mind when suggesting that an SESG2 owner contact Scott to arrange a conditional purchase using the OEM SESG2 amp.

And, of course, many who have confronted the issue with the Arc 125.2 amp (i.e. needing to relocate a module) have done so successfully by Velcroing the module to the bottom of the HK radio w/o benefit of a bracket; that is an option for SESG2 owners to consider if they want to add additional modules while retaining the OEM amp.

Thanks, again, for the reply and look forward to seeing a thread on your audio modifications.

Carl
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.