Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CV carbs for fxr 2,3,4,  (Read 1943 times)

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
CV carbs for fxr 2,3,4,
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »

I'm considering new carb for my fxr2 with thunderheader exhaust, any opinions as to your favorite? mikuni, s &s super e ..or whatever? Got to be something better than stock..even after rejetting with 48 low and 185 main. Give me your imput on best for overall performance..but also good on gas too!

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
Re: CV carbs for fxr 2,3,4,
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »

I guess it all depends on the combination of mods on the bike. I recently had my FXR3 stock 80-ci Evo hopped up, including a  switch to the S&S Super E.  Combined with headwork, V-Thunder 3000 cam, SuperTrapp 2 into 1 exhaust and 9.5:1 compression KB pistons,  I have a nice little torque bike that pulls quickly up to 95+ mph., which makes going around cars fun :bananarock: From there  to 100-105 mph,  it takes awhile, and I haven't gotten it to the max which is I hear @115 m.p.h.  :nixweiss:  After 3K miles on the new build, I'm thrilled with the seat of the pants results.  :2vrolijk_21:  Have yet to Dyno it, though.  Have had no problems with the S&S E carb, and it is easy to adjust the mixture screws and play with and set up the idle and high-speed flows. Highway mileage at 60 mph is low to mid 40's.  However, I can't seem to keep the m.p.h. under 75, and it seems then the m.p.g drops in the mid to high 30's.  Off highway, in the twists/turns ups and downs of the western Phila. PA 'burbs and into the rural areas, with all the downshifting and accelerating, m.p.g is mid 30's. Also, with the S&S E , I get to keep the stock "FXR3" air cleaner cover. Also, the sound of the S&S might be a little louder, but definitely different.  I've heard the re-jetted CV carb works well with this combo and gets you a little better m.p.g.  Talk to CVO member FXR2evo99 regarding the CV carb re-jet.

Sputnik

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »

For performance I think the Mikuni 42mm is a great choice. I had my heads flowed, popup pistons with a Crane igniton and D&D HP staggered dual exhaust at 10.5 to 1 comp. My bike can outrun a lot of 96 cu. and 103cu. in. bikes. I've had CV carbs with kits installed and S&S carbs, but the Mikuni is more responsive. Everyone has an opinion, I just know what works on my FXR.

Good Luck!  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:02:58 AM by Sputnik »

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

I ran a S&S Super "B", Super "G", Super "E", Mikuni, and a  Del Orto Dual throat on my 85 fxrs. I had Andrews EV35 cam Branch heads Crane HI4 ing. and Thunderheader. I like the S&S Super  "E" with a Thunder Jet installed. My girl friend nicknamed the bike the "Scaled Bitch" It was fast and fun and I totally regret selling it to the idiot who tore the crap out of it!  Good Luck!  :2vrolijk_21:

By the way you can buy new S&S with Thunder jet installed fom Zippers. If you chose to install it yourself you will need a machine shop.
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 24 queries.