Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: never understood this helmet law  (Read 7209 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: never understood this helmet law
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »

One of my riding buddies was as hard headed as you.
I only wish he was still here to tell you his story.
You are correct,its your choice and your brain,but,again,I agree with what has been echoed...
if you feel your brain and life are worth nothing,then don't wear any protection.

Mr hard head here thinks the government does not need to tell me what to do when riding my scooter if it does not endanger anyone other than myself. People such as you apparently do not mind that everyday they pass stricter laws and We the people just lay down and let them pass more laws to "protect" us. If their laws protect the "other" person, that is a good thing. All I am saying is I do not need laws to protect me. I can make my own decisions. AND--- I never said even one time on this forum that I do not wear a helmet --- I only stated it should be MY decision----not some bone head that has never ridden a bike. I guess I never will understand why you and others think it is of your concern if someone wears a helmet or not. If you want to wear a helmet----then wear it. If you don't, then live in a state that does not require one. I do Believe there are more states that do NOT require helmets than there are states that require them. I had a friend killed in a motorcycle accident that had a helmet on, and I have friends in the helmet less state of Colorado that have been in motorcycle wrecks with NO helmet that survived with NO permanent injuries. My mom was also killed in a car wreck even though she had her government mandated seat belt on. Maybe you could lobby congress to get airbags on all motorcycles like the Goldwing.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »

Actually, helmets are required in a lot of cars.  Think NASCAR, IndyCars, Formula 1, NHRA, etc.  Don't like the rules, don't bother showing up at the race track.  There is no inalienable right, no matter what some may argue, concerning helmets.  If you can't drive in one of those racing series without approved safety gear, and you can't play certain sports without approved safety gear, and you can't go on a job site or in a factory without approved safety gear, I don't see why the PRIVILEGE of riding a motorcycle on public highways is any different.  Don't want to follow the rules, then don't participate in the subject activity.  Problem solved.

BTW, if motorcycles had crush zones and enclosed safety cage designs and airbags and seatbelts and all the other stuff that's required in cars, maybe there wouldn't be a push to encourage or require helmet use.  Does anyone here really want a motorcycle equipped like that?  Didn't think so. 

Jerry

Hit the nail on the head  :2vrolijk_21:  You should have your own talk radio show, I'd follow.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »

I think it's amazing that being told to wear a helmet is such an "infringement on one's freedom".  In reality, we are told to do a lot of things.  You have to have a concealed weapons permit to carry a concealed weapon. Are you hurting someone or even yourself, if you don't have the permit, hell no, but the law states you need one.  We are told how fast we can drive.  I suppose those that believe we should have the right to decide about something so miniscule as a helmet, should think that we should have the right to decide to go in a rob a bank and not be prosecuted for it.  You have government telling you you can't do that.  I don't hear anyone complaining that's a bad law.  Sometimes the government does need to tell us what to do because obviously, there are those of us that can't make the right decision.  The prisons and graveyards are full of people like that.  Life goes on, ride your bike and enjoy it, why b*tch about a silly helmet law?  Your freedom is no more impeded by being made to wear a helmet then not.  JMO.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 10:40:49 PM »

Very well put.   Sometimes we need laws just to protect us from out own stupidity. I agree with that and I ride with a helmet on my head all on my own.   Don't even need a law to make me wear one.   :)

Half_Crazy

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »

How come people don't fight so hard against the seatbelt law? If the helmet law is unconstitutional, so is the seat belt law.

I feel that most people don't want to wear a helmet because they don't think they look cool wearing one. Personally, I hate riding without a helmet. The sun burns my head up and the wind noise is deafening. When we cross into a no helmet law state, everyone pulls over and takes their helmet off... except me... "Aren't you gonna take your helmet off?".

I always say "If it wasn't for a Bell helmet I would have died in 1971. I'll keep it on if that's OK".

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »

:drink:
"How come people don't fight so hard against the seatbelt law? If the helmet law is unconstitutional, so is the seat belt law.

I feel that most people don't want to wear a helmet because they don't think they look cool wearing one"

Hey Half C,  I agree with you there.  For a lot of 'em,  it's the "look cool" or not thing.   So for some,  if they gotta wear one it's gonna be the beanie type with the fake DOT sticker or some such...........translating that same thought process to seat belts in cars/trucks,  would be to take a razor blade to those damn 2 1/2" wide belts and cut them down to where they're only about 1/2" wide.   That way,  the cut down belts would look really "cool",  and they could still be clicked and worn. :nixweiss:

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »

I think it's amazing that being told to wear a helmet is such an "infringement on one's freedom".  In reality, we are told to do a lot of things.  You have to have a concealed weapons permit to carry a concealed weapon. Are you hurting someone or even yourself, if you don't have the permit, hell no, but the law states you need one.  We are told how fast we can drive.  I suppose those that believe we should have the right to decide about something so miniscule as a helmet, should think that we should have the right to decide to go in a rob a bank and not be prosecuted for it.  You have government telling you you can't do that.  I don't hear anyone complaining that's a bad law.  Sometimes the government does need to tell us what to do because obviously, there are those of us that can't make the right decision.  The prisons and graveyards are full of people like that.  Life goes on, ride your bike and enjoy it, why b*tch about a silly helmet law?  Your freedom is no more impeded by being made to wear a helmet then not.  JMO.

Ditto!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »

Double Ditto.

I think we can also add one law that really hits home to all of us riders - DUI laws.  Imagine if the government didn't atleast try to protect us from that one. 

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »

I see the helmet law debate as a never ending one since both sides have good points and some flaws.
Some of the examples sited have mentioned bank robbery,DUI, reckless driving and other offenses that affect other people -I think those actions do need to be prohibited.
With helmets you are looking at individual safety that may have an effect emotionally and financially on surviving family members and maybe on a larger scale to society due to medical long term care issues.

Just food for thought what if the helmet issue is more like consenting acts between adults? Some states still have laws prohibiting such acts and offer jail time to offenders.

My question is who gets to decide our freedoms? One or two administrators or a larger concensus or even general vote? Remember there are people who call motorcycles "murdercycles" and "donor-cycles". Do we want their fear or prejudice deciding our liberties?

I grew up in times where we played on metal playground equipment, rode bicycles without helmets and even had a BB gun (No I didn't shoot my eye out!) I also probably ran with scissors......I survived and so did every one of my childhood friends.

All that being said i would NOT ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

I think we should think about the words of Benjamin Franklin :

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »

The bottom line is there is absolutely no logical or rational reason for NOT wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle.  All other reasons are emotional responses.  Sometimes laws are passed to protect us from ourselves.  That is not always a bad thing.  If you crash on a motorcycle without a helmet on, the odds are greatly increased that you will either DIE or be more seriously injured that if you were wearing a helmet.  Period.  A lot of things need to be considered when you swing your leg over a bike, and some abstract notion of "personal freedom" should not be in the equation...if you prefer living instead of dying.  I enjoy life too much to play those kind of odds.  I want to ride as long as I am physically able to do so, not because I left some of my brains on the asphalt somewhere and am sitting in a chair with someone emptying my drool bucket.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Half_Crazy

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »

The bottom line is there is absolutely no logical or rational reason for NOT wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle.  All other reasons are emotional responses.  Sometimes laws are passed to protect us from ourselves.  That is not always a bad thing.

If everyone felt like we do, and wore helmets of their own accord, there would be no helmet law. No need for it.

For years there was no helmet law in my state. I wore a helmet always. When the helmet law was passed it didn't change anything for me... except people stopped asking me why I was wearing a helmet.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »

I have been reading this thread from day one.
Surprised at how strong some of the remarks are.
Some just short of calling people that have different ways stupid F&^Kers.
WOW! Just because I guy didn't understand a law.
Have a great day.
Dave
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:18:24 PM by bigdave110 »

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »

The bottom line is there is absolutely no logical or rational reason for NOT wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle.  All other reasons are emotional responses.  Sometimes laws are passed to protect us from ourselves.  That is not always a bad thing.  If you crash on a motorcycle without a helmet on, the odds are greatly increased that you will either DIE or be more seriously injured that if you were wearing a helmet.  Period.  A lot of things need to be considered when you swing your leg over a bike, and some abstract notion of "personal freedom" should not be in the equation...if you prefer living instead of dying.  I enjoy life too much to play those kind of odds.  I want to ride as long as I am physically able to do so, not because I left some of my brains on the asphalt somewhere and am sitting in a chair with someone emptying my drool bucket.

Now that this has been brought up,

what exactly are the odds you will die if you do not wear a helmet.

greater than drinking to excess?

greater than a automobile crash? greater than sky diving?  greater than serving in the military?

greater than living in a urban setting?

I have never seen them.

I guess it would be easier to put them in miles ridden.

EX.
If you ride 50,000 miles without a helmet you will have a 100% chance of  dying?

how many miles are ridden each year divided by the amount of dead riders due to helmets not being worn.

I have no concept of these numbers.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »

I think it's amazing that being told to wear a helmet is such an "infringement on one's freedom".  In reality, we are told to do a lot of things.  You have to have a concealed weapons permit to carry a concealed weapon. Are you hurting someone or even yourself (you certainly could), if you don't have the permit, hell no, but the law states you need one.  We are told how fast we can drive (Laws Primarily protecting others).  I suppose those that believe we should have the right to decide about something so miniscule as a helmet (yes, I do) , should think that we should have the right to decide to go in a rob a bank and not be prosecuted for it ( Again protecting others) .  You have government telling you you can't do that.  I don't hear anyone complaining that's a bad law (not a smart argument) .  Sometimes the government does need to tell us what to do because obviously, there are those of us that can't make the right decision  ( then let that be reserved for you).  The prisons and graveyards are full of people like that (That is why we have Darwin) .  Life goes on, ride your bike and enjoy it, why b*tch about a silly helmet law( I agree with the Silly part) ?  Your freedom is no more impeded by being made to wear a helmet then not.  JMO.

There are many things that infringe upon our freedom and a helmet law is not amongst the most egregious, but I still think it should be an individuals right to chose
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »

I see the helmet law debate as a never ending one since both sides have good points and some flaws.
Some of the examples sited have mentioned bank robbery,DUI, reckless driving and other offenses that affect other people -I think those actions do need to be prohibited.
With helmets you are looking at individual safety that may have an effect emotionally and financially on surviving family members and maybe on a larger scale to society due to medical long term care issues.

Just food for thought what if the helmet issue is more like consenting acts between adults? Some states still have laws prohibiting such acts and offer jail time to offenders.

My question is who gets to decide our freedoms? One or two administrators or a larger concensus or even general vote? Remember there are people who call motorcycles "murdercycles" and "donor-cycles". Do we want their fear or prejudice deciding our liberties?

I grew up in times where we played on metal playground equipment, rode bicycles without helmets and even had a BB gun (No I didn't shoot my eye out!) I also probably ran with scissors......I survived and so did every one of my childhood friends.

All that being said i would NOT ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

I think we should think about the words of Benjamin Franklin :

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "

Very well written

Formally FLHTCUSE3
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 25 queries.