Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Just bought 2003 serk  (Read 2873 times)

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Just bought 2003 serk
« on: June 19, 2006, 11:44:16 AM »

Im new to this sight, so hi to all. I just purchased this 2003 serk 4300 miles and completely stock, no pipes, no download no nothing. Stock its one heck of an upgrade from my warmed over 98 heritage classic. As i am a bit of a motor head yet i would like to trump up the sound. and anything i can do to pep it up withou pulling the motor apart. This is my first efi bike and im enjoying the starting procedure etc, as in turn the key warm up ride.
my question to anyone who would care to help, i would like to do the externals, so my question is, which slip ons for the right sound without hurting performance, right now i cant even hear it run or must i do the complete pipe thing, which air cleaner kit, and how and where should i go about the download thing to compensate for these changes,. this bike will be under warranty til 2010, i dont want to screw that up.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: Just bought 2003 serk
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 01:06:24 PM »

Welcome to the site! You'll get lots of good sound technical advice, and of course lots of recommendations on how to spend you hard earned money. Here's a shopping list to wake up the stock 103" beast:
1. Install K&N, Arlen Ness, or Zippers air filter.
2. Exhaust: Rinehart True Duals, Freedom, or even the Screamin Eagle's (not SE II's), (p/n 65115-98B if you can find them), or maybe Vance and Hines. Be sure they're designed to handle the 103" engine output.
3. EFI: Install Power Commander, or use the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner kit.
4. If you don't go with Pwr Cmdr, have dealership do the EFI download for your mods, and that'll also increase the rev limit to 6200 RPM.
4. Dyno tune the puppy and enjoy the ride.  [smiley=2cr_01.gif]

Installing any of the above, should not impact your warranty under the existiing warranty laws, but you may have to fight some dealerships on this issue. In many cases, dealerships will do the install for you and if they do, it iimplies that they'll then provide support after that. You can get complete kits (pipes, air filter, etc.) at various after market sources and it's normally cheaper in a kit. If you want to open it up, you can install some of the new 103" specific camshafts mentioned on this site, and then have the dyno done.  

I'm sure some of the others can add some things, but this is a basic shopping list.
Don't forget more chrome !  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Again, welcome to the site.
Joe
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 01:18:24 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:14:11 PM »

thanks for the advice, im looking into the h.d two into one exhaust rumor has it they are the same or are vance and hines?, race tuner and one of the air filters you mentioned. dont want to get into cams etc just yet but ya know how it goes, one thing leads to another.

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 08:55:55 PM »

I have the Screamin Eagle Pro 2:1, A/C Kit and SERT. I also have a copy of the MAP for the application if you are interested. I put the exact same application on my FLHRSEI2 when I had it. My SEEG makes 97HP & 98TQ. The SERK makes 95HP & 104TQ. Same MAP, different Dynos. I can confidently say it's a 100-Squared setup. Give or take.

PM me if you want the MAP.
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:03:41 PM »

There's also the new Rinehart 2-into-1 available, can be had for about $500. They have pics on the website and I've seen some on softails that sound and look just fine. I have one sitting in the garage I'm seriously thinking about installing just to see what difference it makes over their true dual setup I now have. OCD big time huh?

My understanding is that the V&H are not yet out with anything for the 103" engine, but are working on it. But haven't seen much in writing...there's also D&D's.

Whatever you choose, enjoy and thank Mastercard  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Joe

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:24:28 PM »

There's also the new Rinehart 2-into-1 available, can be had for about $500. They have pics on the website and I've seen some on softails that sound and look just fine. I have one sitting in the garage I'm seriously thinking about installing just to see what difference it makes over their true dual setup I now have. OCD big time huh?

My understanding is that the V&H are not yet out with anything for the 103" engine, but are working on it. But haven't seen much in writing...there's also D&D's.

Whatever you choose, enjoy and thank Mastercard  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Joe
Joe,
I see where you checked in with Bub in Mar '06  Rinehart 2-into1 exhaust for touring
and they stated that these pipes were for the 103 ci motors.

However when Hubbard spoke with Gerald Rinehart back in Dec '05 RINEHART 2 into1 Header (post #5) and he (Gerald Rinehart) said those pipes were designed for the 88 ci motors, and they wouldn't have any for the 103 motors until August.

I wonder if the person you spoke with (salesman?) was knowledgeable or just trying to make a sale? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:23:02 AM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:38:17 PM »

PM me if you want the MAP.

Michael, you can add as an attachment the SERT maps.  They are one of the allowable file types.  Believe .mt6 is SERT.  BTW, PC is .djm, which is also an allowable file type.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 01:46:05 AM »

I put the Rinehart true duals and an SE air cleaner on mine and tuned it with a Techlusion TFi.  Had that combo for over two years and it ran great.  The advantage of the TFi (or DFO) is that with the wiring harness you can remove it, if necessary, for warranty work.
Steve

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 09:19:51 AM »

I put the Rinehart true duals and an SE air cleaner on mine and tuned it with a Techlusion TFi.  Had that combo for over two years and it ran great.  The advantage of the TFi (or DFO) is that with the wiring harness you can remove it, if necessary, for warranty work.

I used this same set up but with Thunderheaders.  Very pleased.  No problems after 3 years.  Dyno'ed at 98hp 102 torque
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 04:08:14 PM »

Joe,
I see where you checked in with Bub in Mar '06  Rinehart 2-into1 exhaust for touring
and they stated that these pipes were for the 103 ci motors.

However when Hubbard spoke with Gerald Rinehart back in Dec '05 RINEHART 2 into1 Header (post #5) and he (Gerald Rinehart) said those pipes were designed for the 88 ci motors, and they wouldn't have any for the 103 motors until August.

I wonder if the person you spoke with (salesman?) was knowledgeable or just trying to make a sale? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
 [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

D00d,
Yes, that was true back then and I did see Hub's post so got the wheels turning a bit. I got my info from tech support at Bub earlier this month, saying that the pipes had been tested with 103" and were fine. This time I'll bump it up a notchor two there, and if not right they'll be getting the current version back. Will post the info here.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Joe

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 04:57:41 PM »

Joe,
That's good to hear. The more I see and hear 2 into 1's on baggers the more I think I'm getting to like them (look that is). I had V&H 2 into 1 on my Fatboy and loved the sound and performance, but at the time I got my bagger I just couldn't convince myself that a 2 into 1 would look right on it (hadn't thought about the falsies). Also I had seen/heard the Rineharts on friends SERK and immediately felt compelled to get them.

So often salesmen will tell customers what they want to hear to make a sale, and just wondered if this had happened in your case. Glad to hear that you went a little further in your quest for information and talked to tech support. I'll be interested in your evaluation once you get them on.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 10:35:15 PM »

Here's what I just received back from Rinehart on their 2-into-1

Subject:       Re: New R5-2395CG FL 2-into-1's      
Date:       Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:12:13 AM Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:12:13 +0000       

Joe,
I have had very good response on the new 2 into 1 systems on 95 and 103 c.i. engines. The main diferrence between the true dual and the 2 into 1 is the true duals will have better top end H.P., and the 2 into 1 will have better bottom and mid range T.Q. than the true duals. Over all I have heard good response on the new  2 into 1 designs.

Thanks for buying our product!
Gerald Rinehart, President
Rinehart Racing, Inc

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 02:24:53 PM »

XO welcome to the site bro ...you and I have some things in common ... I just bought my first CVO and its the 03 SERK ...Ive been riding 42 years the last 25 on a Harley. My bike was not stock and when I first saw it... there were two into ones on it but I just did not like the looks plus it had a blued area around the muffler ..come to find out it was cracked and I understand several people have had that problem with two into ones ... I have found out asking others what exhaust to run is like asking what color you should buy ..most everyone will give you a different answere .... I did some research over the last two weeks and yesterday talked with a Tech at our Harley shop ...my intentions were to buy a new exhaust system ( True duals most likely) and to have him tune my bike that already has the SE Race Tuner ...but he told me that the Rhineharts were the hardest to get tuned right borrow none ... he recommended me using the stock header pipes and a pair of good slip on's ... now here is a guy who knew he was going to make about a $1000.00 sale but recommended something syple and fairly cheap ... he says the stock pipes act like a two into one which is much more proficient the the duals ... I will have my bike there today and he will put it on the dyno and tune it ...he claims he can get between 95 and 100 hp from this symple set up which is pleanty of power for me ... good luck on getting your bike where you want it ...

Ride Safe
Dude

" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »

Bama
          I agree for the most part as the 03 SERK I wrecked had stock head pipes, a Doherty Power Pacc and a SERT and it was like 94 ftlbs and 90hp. ELvis, with a SE stage 1 breather, Reinhart True Duals and a SERT I is 98ftlbs and 93hp. Thing is I like the sound of the Reinharts a lot better than the Hookers either the slip ons or the true duals like Beags has. Bottom line, a set of used Reinharts for the same price as a set of Hooker slip ons is a better way to go IMO

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 03:39:13 PM »

Bama
          I agree for the most part as the 03 SERK I wrecked had stock head pipes, a Doherty Power Pacc and a SERT and it was like 94 ftlbs and 90hp. ELvis, with a SE stage 1 breather, Reinhart True Duals and a SERT I is 98ftlbs and 93hp. Thing is I like the sound of the Reinharts a lot better than the Hookers either the slip ons or the true duals like Beags has. Bottom line, a set of used Reinharts for the same price as a set of Hooker slip ons is a better way to go IMO

Spider if you find another clean used set of Rhieharts let me know ...I'd be a buyer ...if its good enough for "The King" its good enough for me  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Bama

Bama
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:40:34 PM by BamaHarleyDude »
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 24 queries.