Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Redline Oil  (Read 3312 times)

EAGLE SEIII

Redline Oil
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »

Hi, new here, just got a 07 Serk. I live in Miami, so most of the time temp. is over 80 degrees, I saw that Redline makes a 20w60 oil, what do you guys think, would it be better that the 20w50. I have an 03 V-Rod, never a problem with temp. being watercooled and all, but the big twin, gets really hot.

Thanks, and I hope you guys can give me your input.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Redline Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »

Tirpitz

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

Any good 20-50 or 20-60 oil is going to hold up just fine.  Use what you want, change every 2500 miles if using dino oil and enjoy your ride. 
Everyone crashes. Some get back on, Some don't, Some can't.
Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and
lived, and still rides.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »

Welcome to the site!  You should probably introduce yourself in the new member introduction section.  As for the oil, most of us in Northern California are using the Redline 20-60 and change it every 5K.  You can also do a search as there are numerous threads regarding oils as well.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »

I have a 07 SERK as well, The bike came with the SE oil, I changed to HD Dino oil then back to SE then to Mobol 1 then to Redline Motor oil, Tranny and Primary oil. When i went to Redline the bike would use about 1/2 qt. every 3,000 miles, now appox. 1/2 pt every 3 to 4,000 miles, As far as cooling the bike off thats hard to say these 110's run hot anyway and i run a Zipper's Thundermax which i think  helped cool the bike down as well.

I will add that the Redline Tranny oil has helped a lot, still has the Harley clunk just not as harsh.

07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »

When in doubt, consult the manual.  If your normal riding conditions are in the range that Harley shows for a 60 weight oil, then there is no problem running that 20w60 oil.  Plenty of folks around here run the Redline 20W60 and I haven't heard any negative feedback.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »

We've used Red Line lubricants exclusively in the chaincase, and the gearbox, now for close to 15 years.
Our clients notice a difference. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:56:45 PM »

Man, I love these oil threads!  :bananarock:
Jesus is Lord

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 12:12:03 AM »

Man, I love these oil threads!  :bananarock:
Yep Winter here, a good oil thread can get you to spring lol

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:28 AM »

..............and usually create a good fight, in the process :D
Scott

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »

Got a question for the experts.  What is the significance of the name "Redline"?  Does it mean you should always run the engine at redline rpms when using their oil, or does it mean if you leave the drain plug loose it will leave a "red line" down the driveway?  And on that subject, why is it that the Shockproof stuff is red (pink) but the motor oil is not?  WTF is that?  How about a little consistency in the products guys.

Oh yeah, still waiting to see some real competitive test results from the folks at Redline instead of just bitching about the Amsoil report.  In the meantime I'll continue to pay significantly less for Mobil 1 V-Twin which is a proven top performer and readily available locally.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »

I have changed to Redline products at my shop. My customer notices the difference too!  ;)
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:45:36 AM »

Got a question for the experts.  What is the significance of the name "Redline"?  Does it mean you should always run the engine at redline rpms when using their oil, or does it mean if you leave the drain plug loose it will leave a "red line" down the driveway?  And on that subject, why is it that the Shockproof stuff is red (pink) but the motor oil is not?  WTF is that?  How about a little consistency in the products guys.

Oh yeah, still waiting to see some real competitive test results from the folks at Redline instead of just bitching about the Amsoil report.  In the meantime I'll continue to pay significantly less for Mobil 1 V-Twin which is a proven top performer and readily available locally.

Jerry ;)

The pink color is a dye, that'll alert the user, if he/she has a leak, and can pinpoint.
Lightweight Shockproof has a green dye.
Hey, like I mentioned, always good for heated discussions............ :D
Scott

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »

I know i'm covered...Mobile 1 v-twin 20-50 in the engine,Amsoil 20-50 in the primary, Redline Shockproof in the tranny.
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »

Jerry ;)                 
         LOL...... STOP IT JERRY YOUR KILLIN ME!!!!!!!       "DH'
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.