Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Are the SERG's to low?  (Read 7471 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Are the SERG's to low?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 12:15:03 AM »

I got my Progressives and 12" Suspension Technologies from Jim at Metal Dragon (HD-DooD).  Love them! 

Can't imagine how are you scraped the heat shield.  Looks like you hit a speed bump in a turn.  To hit the floor board support,  you'd have to scrape the board very hard.   :nixweiss:  Suggest you talk or send a PM to Jim.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »

I talked with Moco yesterday and explained what was going on. He stated that because my bike is lower, the issues I am having are common. I like the look of my bike, but if performance is going to be compromised from being lowered, I'm leaning on going with hd double cartridge and standard height adjustable shocks. (same ones on the sesg but 1" longer). From everything I have read, this should greatly improve the ride and handling of my bike.

He did state that with the newer shock it would only raise the bike about 9/16" because the shock is on an angle.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »

:soapbox:  The SERG has a regular height front suspension and the 1' (yes, 9/16" because of shock angle) rear. 

Other SERG's, including mine, do not scrap where yours has!  The issue thus is not "common."   :oops:  The HD double tubes are an obvious imitation of the Progressives and about the same price.  That will lower your bike in the front by about an inch!  Still recommend you talk to Jim. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »

I now progressive has two montub set ups for a standard height and a lower one.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »

I know progressive has two monotube set ups for a standard height and a lower one.

That's true.  But the standard height which I installed is about an inch lower than stock.  Measured against UFO_HOG's bike last weekend. 

Sawyer Brown

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »

I believe the Progressive kit comes with preload spacers to fine tune static height.  If you installed the "standard height" kit and you actually wound up with the bike 1" lower, I'd guess you should have installed 1" spacers.  Either that or Progressive gave you the wrong kit.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »

I talked with Moco yesterday and explained what was going on. He stated that because my bike is lower, the issues I am having are common. I like the look of my bike, but if performance is going to be compromised from being lowered, I'm leaning on going with hd double cartridge and standard height adjustable shocks. (same ones on the sesg but 1" longer). From everything I have read, this should greatly improve the ride and handling of my bike.

He did state that with the newer shock it would only raise the bike about 9/16" because the shock is on an angle.

In post #1 of this thread you say that your bike is stock suspension.  So what was the MoCo refrencing when they said your bike is lower?  If they're talking about the SERG being lower than a regular model Road Glide (the same as the SESG vs. the regular model Street Glide), then to scrape heat stock heat shields and floorboard brackets is not "common".   I'd write a letter, include photos and ask for a written reply.

We have some very agressive riders on this board with both SERGs and SESGs and to my knowledge, on stock suspension we only scrape floorboards or sidestands and nothing more. :nixweiss:  I know of several riders that have scraped floorboard mounting brackets however, they have their bike lowered, floorboard spacers or both.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »

I believe the Progressive kit comes with preload spacers to fine tune static height.  If you installed the "standard height" kit and you actually wound up with the bike 1" lower, I'd guess you should have installed 1" spacers.  Either that or Progressive gave you the wrong kit.

Jerry

There is only one kit. 

It comes with the spacer and the directions say you use the spacer if you want it lower.   :nixweiss:

Sawyer Brown

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »

There is only one kit. 

It comes with the spacer and the directions say you use the spacer if you want it lower.   :nixweiss:

How about the double cartridge from Harley? Part #45500106

(I'm milking this for as much info as possible)

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »

Don't know about the HD kit.  But the pictures are almost identical.   :nixweiss:

Sawyer Brown

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »

Here is another owner with the same issue.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=73907.0

Lowered suspension.....floorboard extensions?   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:01:49 PM by JCZ »

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »

You'd have to as HOGMIKE what happened to cause that scrape.  It does not see that if you leaned the bike it would scrape there.  Makes me think it's from a speed bump, dip or pot hole while in a turn...   :nixweiss:

Sawyer Brown

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »

There is only one kit. 

Greg, I don't know for sure because I don't use the Progressive stuff, but there are two different kits listed, with two different part numbers, and two different prices.  My understanding was that one kit was for "standard" height, and the other kit was for 1" lower front end..

Fireguy...if you are talking about the HD "Premium" cartridges, I only know one person who has installed those...Jerry (Ultrafxr) and he is happy with them.  Your RG should have the standard height front end (though it's a POS stock), and a 1" lower rear shock (12" eye to eye).  This is my opinion:  If I did not have special needs for height, due to being vertically challenged  ::), I would purchase other shocks rather than anything HD has to offer.  Anything HD puts on a bike with regards to suspension is going to be low bid product.  While the adjustable shocks are "better" than the "air ride" (which are not really air ride at all) from my understanding, they are not as good as other products available for the same money.  And for a bit more money you can get a product FAR superior to anything HD markets.  Ohlin, Bitubo, Works, Suspension Tech, Progressive...I'm sure there are others, but those are the one's that have been proven by owners here.  The best rear shocks have 3 adjustments:  Preload (spring compression), compression damping (some have adjustments for this setting), and rebound damping (again, some have adjustments for this as well).  As you decrease price, you lose adjustments accordingly.  And then there are products like Legend Air Suspension, which are infinitely adjustable for any load or riding situation with regards to preload, and adjustable "on the fly".

You want the ultimate in front suspension?  Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges.  None better...period.  But you'll pay for them.

Whatever you do, it sounds like you definitely need a suspension underneath you that is both full height (13" rear shock) and better than stock.  I have been known to ride pretty aggresively in twisties, but have never scraped anything other than the floorboards....however, I've got $2500+ worth of suspension under me.  The stock suspension, again IMO, is not only inferior, it's dangerous in many ways.  HD should be ashamed for putting such chit on their flagship bikes, but it is what it is.

It is VERY unusual to scrape the heat shield without seriously scraping other parts first.  Scraping floorboard support brackets is a recipe for real problems...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »

Agree with Terry / Midnight Rider.  Progressive now lists two part numbers: 
Mono-tube Kit:   31-2500  $399.99 and 31-2501  $399.95   

That's a $.04 difference in price!   :huepfenlol2: 

According to the web page, the 31-2500 is "standard factory height."  The 2501 kit is 'Lowered."  Seems they did away with an "optional" spacer that came with my kit some time ago. 

Sawyer Brown

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »

Starting to think about putting progressive monotub shocks on the front and 13" shocks on the back. Any ideas?

I put the 13" Bitobos in the back, and the A20s in the front on my 09 as soon as I bought it. Basically raising it 1" over stock. A little bit on my tippy toes, but not bad at all. I prefer to have the bike rideable as lowered. I'm 5'9" or so btw. Used to be almost 5'11". I think I'm squatting as I get older.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.