Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Appliance recommendations please  (Read 2899 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Appliance recommendations please
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »

My house in California is in need of a new dishwasher. My property manager suggested a Bosch, but the reviews I have found on line are less than encouraging. I'm looking for suggestions for a good, well laid out, durable machine. What are folks using, how long have you had it, and are you satisfied? I've read a lot of reviews of machines breaking right after the warranty expired, lack of cleaning power, and leak issues.

Of course the following will help me a lot, brand, model number, price.

Thanks
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Appliance recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »

We had Kitchen Aid stuff when we moved in, the only thing that hasn't broken yet is the dishwasher.

We've had to replace our washer a TV twice in ten years, nothing is built to last any more it seems!

I'd just grab what's on sale, they are all pretty much made by one company regardless of brand name.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »

I too am disappointed with the latest(4yearold) batch of Kitchen Aide.....we're starting to have issues with the DW, duel fuel range, and fridge...but the set(now 14 years old) in our old house are still running strong with a family over twice the size of mine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:24:52 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »

I bought a Bosch a couple of months ago and love it!  It is so quiet that there is a little red light that shines on the floor so you know that it is running.  One quirk.  All of the displays are on the top of the door including time left.  Since it is an under the counter model, you can't see the displays.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »

Hey Ernie...that sounds like an installation issue.  You can pull it out a few inches, so the top of the door is exposed, or will that not work? 

Mark, I'd recommend Maytag.  But that's just because I've had good service from their appliances overall. 

Cheers,
Ken

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »

Check Consumer Reports.  They do their own testing plus collect real world data from their subscribers.  According to their survey the most reliable brands have been Whirlpool, Bosch, Kenmore, and Miele over the 2007 - 2011 time frame with 10% or less needing repairs.  The most repair prone brands over that time frame were LG, Maytag, Amana, Fisher & Payket, Frigidaire with 21% to 16% repair rates.

Their current 2013 Buying Guide lists the Bosch Ascenta as their #1 pick ($700).  Two other Bosch models round out the top 3, one at $900 and the other at $1500.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »

my wife does the dishes  :cucumber:
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »

I agree save the money , buy chrome and let the wife wash the dishes.
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »

Hey Ernie...that sounds like an installation issue.  You can pull it out a few inches, so the top of the door is exposed, or will that not work?  

Mark, I'd recommend Maytag.  But that's just because I've had good service from their appliances overall.  

Cheers,
Ken

Doesn't quite work like that Ken.  Since the granit counter top overhangs an inch or so, he'd have to pull the D/W out two or three inches to see the LED display on top.....right Ernie?  It's actually part of the design.....to not make it so obvious that it's a dishwasher, everything was put inside.  We still have the same model and no problems after three years.  However, we've also had a number of units fail prematurely unless you're going with the commercial grade.

However, doing new construction and renovations of apartment and condo projects for a number of years I can say the makes that we've had the least amount of problems with has been mid level Whirlpool.  Not to say that we haven't had any problems with them....I could share stories for the rest of the day.  Like the time that a lady living on the third floor loaded her washer full of clothes and left for the graveyard shift across the street at Stanford University (we were still building it).  I got a call about 2:00 a.m. in the morning telling me that the second and first floor units were flooded! Her very first load and the automatic fill shut-off didn't shut off. :nervous:  By the time she got home at 8:30 a.m. all of her furniture plus the two units below her were all sitting out in the street.  Carpet & pad all had to come out...dehumidifiers and air movers  in all the units, schedule three new carpet installs all to be completed on the following day...24 hr. guard to keep an eye on residents property overnight, etc.

But overall Mark, Whirlpool mid level or upper grade units have seen the fewest issues.  The make that's had the most issues (range, refer, D/W, washer & dryer....all of them!), by far, is Frigidaire.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »

Miele, Miele and only Miele. Those units are made for a lifetime. Bosch is way inferior.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

HogRydr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »

I leave that type of stuff up to the expert, the person that runs that machinery; my wife and she says there's nothing better than Whirlpool.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »

My house in California is in need of a new dishwasher. My property manager suggested a Bosch, but the reviews I have found on line are less than encouraging. I'm looking for suggestions for a good, well laid out, durable machine. What are folks using, how long have you had it, and are you satisfied? I've read a lot of reviews of machines breaking right after the warranty expired, lack of cleaning power, and leak issues.

Of course the following will help me a lot, brand, model number, price.

Thanks

We bought the Bosch Silence 46 dBA a few months ago and I can tell you that it is the best dishwasher I have ever owned.   :2vrolijk_21:  It is the quietest dishwasher made and you literally have to look at the red light on the corner to see if it is running!  I have never pulled anything out that was still dirty.  If you want the best, buy the Bosch.  ;D
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »

Bosch. We built a new house 6 years ago. Bought all new appliances. Bought the Bosch latest and greatest stainless dishwasher. Works like a charm 6 years later and like others have said, I have to check it to see if its running cuz it's so quiet. Sorry not sure the model!!!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »

This is my business,  Appliance Retail Dealer

www.matternsappliance.com

ask me a question

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »

Check Consumer Reports.  They do their own testing plus collect real world data from their subscribers.  According to their survey the most reliable brands have been Whirlpool, Bosch, Kenmore, and Miele over the 2007 - 2011 time frame with 10% or less needing repairs.  The most repair prone brands over that time frame were LG, Maytag, Amana, Fisher & Payket, Frigidaire with 21% to 16% repair rates.

Their current 2013 Buying Guide lists the Bosch Ascenta as their #1 pick ($700).  Two other Bosch models round out the top 3, one at $900 and the other at $1500.

Jerry

That is somewhat accurate except for Kenmore, and maybe Whirlpool.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 25 queries.