Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: GlidePro / Commander IIs on '05SEEG  (Read 5670 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
GlidePro / Commander IIs on '05SEEG
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »

Since the '05 SEEG was already on the lift for some ESP work, I decided on the Michelin Commander IIs and to give the GlidePro bushings a try.

The '05 always handled great to me, no wobble, no float, nothing but rock steady in any conditions, the factory Dunlops gave good service, and were predictable, just thought I might try out some newer technology...

Also going to try Redline in the tranny, 'been using RL in the '09 for a while and am very surprised in the difference.

Goin' to stretch the legs on the SEEG around Pearl Harbor Day, headin' to 'da bayou to get me some Cajun vittles :pepper:    
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:21:57 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
Re: GlidePro / Commander IIs going on '05SEEG
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »

Both should make noticeable improvements. :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: GlidePro / Commander IIs going on '05SEEG
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »

Since the '05 SEEG was already on the lift for some ESP work, I decided on the Michelin Commander IIs and to give the GlidePro bushings a try.

The '05 always handled great to me, no wobble, no float, nothing but rock steady in any conditions, the factory Dunlops gave good service, and were predictable, just thought I might try out some newer technology...

Always believed in the ole 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' adage.  :) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

Re: GlidePro / Commander IIs on '05SEEG
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »

Also going to try Redline in the tranny, 'been using RL in the '09 for a while and am very surprised in the difference.

Goin' to stretch the legs on the SEEG around Pearl Harbor Day, headin' to 'da bayou to get me some Cajun vittles :pepper:   

Got over 1k on the GlidePro bushings, Commander IIs and RedLine Shockproof and am very happy  :cherry:  

I thought that the GlidePro would take a while to settle in, but they are smoother coming out of the gate (much less fairing rattle, less vibration in seat and bars at lower RPMs than stock). What little bit of "rear steer" that was in the factory lowered "sport" suspension is gone!

The Commander IIs are different than the factory Dunlops in that the handling is sharper and more precise at any speed (quicker turn in, smoother, lighter steering feel) the bike feels much lighter and much more nimble now, especially at low speed. The quicker handling took a little getting used to at higher speeds (not to say it's floating, wobbling, or twitchy, just quicker). We ran through some rain a few times and the bike exhibited no negative characteristics. I am curious to see if the quickness of the handling changes when the tires wear in with "the Florida flat spot".

With the GlidePro and the Commander IIs there is absolutely no more "new frame envy" the stability, firm but smooth handling is all there. I actually prefer the handling of the '05 to the '09 as it feels like a truck in the parking lot compared to the shorter swing arm of the '05, much more agile.

Now if the '05 just had antilock brakes...

The RedLine Shockproof is amazing to me, it did the same for the 5sp as it did for the 6sp, smoother, quieter shifting. By far the best $20 I ever spent on a Harley  :cherry:

The '05 was no where near broke, but we fixed it...

The Cajun vittles and hospitality were awesome too  :pepper:

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »

Got over 1k on the GlidePro bushings, Commander IIs and RedLine Shockproof and am very happy  :cherry:  

I thought that the GlidePro would take a while to settle in, but they are smoother coming out of the gate (much less fairing rattle, less vibration in seat and bars at lower RPMs than stock). What little bit of "rear steer" that was in the factory lowered "sport" suspension is gone!

The Commander IIs are different than the factory Dunlops in that the handling is sharper and more precise at any speed (quicker turn in, smoother, lighter steering feel) the bike feels much lighter and much more nimble now, especially at low speed. The quicker handling took a little getting used to at higher speeds (not to say it's floating, wobbling, or twitchy, just quicker). We ran through some rain a few times and the bike exhibited no negative characteristics. I am curious to see if the quickness of the handling changes when the tires wear in with "the Florida flat spot".

With the GlidePro and the Commander IIs there is absolutely no more "new frame envy" the stability, firm but smooth handling is all there. I actually prefer the handling of the '05 to the '09 as it feels like a truck in the parking lot compared to the shorter swing arm of the '05, much more agile.

Now if the '05 just had antilock brakes...

The RedLine Shockproof is amazing to me, it did the same for the 5sp as it did for the 6sp, smoother, quieter shifting. By far the best $20 I ever spent on a Harley  :cherry:

The '05 was no where near broke, but we fixed it...

The Cajun vittles and hospitality were awesome too  :pepper:

Which one feels like a truck in the parking lot?   :o spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »

Which one feels like a truck in the parking lot?   :o spyder

The '09 SERG is not as nimble as the '05 SEEG at lower speeds.

Where's the har ?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »

The '09 SERG is not as nimble as the '05 SEEG at lower speeds.

Where's the har ?
SEEG's rule!!!  :verkleidung056: HAR!!!   spyder

andrew pasquale

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »

Just curious, I have same bike.What size rear tire did you go with?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »

Just curious, I have same bike.What size rear tire did you go with?

140 / 90 / 16

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »

SEEG's rule!!!  :verkleidung056: HAR!!!   spyder

'Have been very fortunate to ride a fair amount of Harleys over the years, (no '14s yet) I know that they all have their own personalities, to me, the SEEGs are the best stock bike that Harley has produced to date  :cherry: very balanced and well rounded. I have left the '05 stock (even mufflers ~ the only real mod so far is the GlidePro ~ at > 50k) whereas I have poured $$$ into the '09 to bring it up to snuff.

When I get more miles on the '09, I will post my comparison between the '05 SEEG and the '09 SERG, just don't know what section to post in  :nixweiss: maybe General CVO discussion?

I probably should have posted this thread elsewhere on this site, as all the 'old frame' folks can benefit from the GlidePro, I think that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

I did the same mods on a customers 2002 SE Road King that also received a 120R and Baker 6. We also went with a Baker oil pan and the Alloy Art TXR stabilizer. I did the stabilizer and the Glide Pro system all at the same time and the bike rides like its on rails! I think it actually is a much better ride than the new frames in stock form. He already had Progressive rear shocks and we will soon be putting Traxxion Dynamics AK-20's up front and probably some Performance Machine 6 piston calipers as well. The Alloy Art TXR stabilizer is a nice piece though and combined the the Glide Pro the bike is a completely different motorcycle than before. I think the suspension on these bikes are highly neglected in terms of people upgrading them. Its truly one of those things that you cant appreciate until you have experienced a good suspension. Plus it's more fun to talk to your riding buddies about engine performance upgrades and that probably has a lot to do with the lack of attention to these upgrades as well. HD gave us a pretty good platform to have a fantastic bike but the suspension on these bikes truly is an antiquated and inferior design. The new 2014 touring models with the pinch bolt on the top triple tree is a good step in the right direction but even those bikes with no miles on them are a far cry from a cartridge like the AK-20's. Im a fan!  :2vrolijk_21:
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »

Sta-Bo's, Baker Pan with the alloy art stab, Traxxion, new swing arm bushings every other year, Bitubos and it will still go into a wobble that will pucker you up.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »

What bike? Do you have one ass cheek that's 4 times the size of the other one? Did you buy this bike used with no title but a "guarantee" that she had never been down? Has this bike even been involved in an accident that also involved a Mauler tank? Somethin' ain't right, I say! Maybe a hondayamakawsakizuki will fix the problem.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »

What bike? Do you have one ass cheek that's 4 times the size of the other one? Did you buy this bike used with no title but a "guarantee" that she had never been down? Has this bike even been involved in an accident that also involved a Mauler tank? Somethin' ain't right, I say! Maybe a hondayamakawsakizuki will fix the problem.

Same as the thread
No
No
Not on this planet
How would that solve anything?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »

Sta-Bo's, Baker Pan with the alloy art stab, Traxxion, new swing arm bushings every other year, Bitubos and it will still go into a wobble that will pucker you up.

That's interesting...

What speed / conditions does the bike go into the wobble?

You have a list of the most expensive components available, ( except the GlidePro is more $ than the Sta-Bo, but the GlidePro comes with a stainless swingarm pivot) you must have a problem somewhere else... alignment, swingarm pivot, steering head, tires, rims, bearings???

My '05 has always been stable as a brick in any conditions.

I've never been a big fan of the stabilizers, but that's just me...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.