Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Oil change question  (Read 4772 times)

rtbasey

Oil change question
« on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »

I have a FXDWG2, I carefully followed directions in the service manual and the owner's guide about changing and checking the oil.  I drained the oil at hot operating temperature and changed the filter.  Info says to put in 2.5 quarts on a refill and 3 quarts on a dry engine rebuild.  I put in the 2.5 quarts including about 4 oz. in the filter before screwing it in.  Was showing oil on the stick at the low end of the two marks.  Ran the bike to operating temp and found the level at less than the mid point still.  Progressively added more oil until I was at 2.9 quarts of 20-50 Amsoil and at operating temperature it still reads not much higher than the mid point on the stick.  I would bet I could put in another 8 oz. before it gets close to the full mark yet that would be over the claimed capacity of 3 quarts dry and not including whatever was still in the engine when I drained it.  I don't see much difference between hot and cold check of oil level and question what the real oil quantity is when filled to the full mark.  I don't want to over fill but don't want to run at under the full mark.  The bike is not burning oil or leaking...I checked.  Bike is stock (including dip stick) and I ride conservative.  Bike is also under 2000 miles total.  What's up here...do these bikes actually handle something over 3 quarts?

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: Oil change question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »

I have never been able to just add the "claimed" capacity and have the dip stick read correctly.  Mine is claimed to hold 4 quarts but I add 3.5 and run it until it's hot and add enough to bring the level up to mid point on the dip stick.  You don't want it to be at the "full" mark when cold or hot.  Mid point is fine what ever amount it takes to do that.  BTW do you have an oil cooler?
Do it now!

mark

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »

Most Harleys are happier with about a quarter to a half a quart below full.  The Harleys that I've owned would blow oil if filled to the full mark.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »

Most Harleys are happier with about a quarter to a half a quart below full.  The Harleys that I've owned would blow oil if filled to the full mark.

:2vrolijk_21:
Do it now!

rtbasey

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:57:23 AM »

Thanks for the responses...seems odd that adding the required amount does not get it to the full mark.  How many people just add more to get it there not realizing they could be overfilling?  I think the shop were I bought the oil told me I would need 3 quarts for the engine and 1 for the trans.  Both are too much particularly for a drain and fill.  Apparently that shop is routinely putting in too much oil. 

I don't have an oil cooler.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »

Half way between the marks is fine

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »

Gotta agree with the crowd.  I don't ever fill it "full", just about halfway.  Hate to blow oil on a clean scooter and keeping it around the half-way mark doesn't seem to generate problems.  IMHO.
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

That's what the manual recommends.  Also need to know what level line you are checking, on the stand or up-right. 
Do it now!

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »

Thanks for the responses...seems odd that adding the required amount does not get it to the full mark.  How many people just add more to get it there not realizing they could be overfilling?  I think the shop were I bought the oil told me I would need 3 quarts for the engine and 1 for the trans.  Both are too much particularly for a drain and fill.  Apparently that shop is routinely putting in too much oil. 

I don't have an oil cooler.

It's in the owner's manual

Do it now!

rtbasey

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »

My manual shows an illustration of a dip stick with an arrow pointing to the mid point between add and full.  It says that when checking the oil COLD, it should read between the two arrows.

It goes on to say that when checking the oil HOT, "add only enough oil to bring the level to the FULL mark...DO NOT OVERFILL".

Both are to be checked on the jiffy stand. 

As I said, I think if I added enough to get to that FULL mark, I would have over 3 quarts and be overfilled.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 06:31:41 PM »

the important thing to remember is that if the oil level is between the two lines, then you are good.  a lot of people consider the oil level to be low if it is not at the top line.  as long as it is between the lines, you are in the operating range.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 10:44:56 AM »

Another vote for midway between full and add.  My 103 touring only takes 3 quarts with a filter change to get up to mid stick.  Any higher than about 3/4 saturates the air cleaner with blow-by and drips on the side cover.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
Another vote for midway between full and add.  My 103 touring only takes 3 quarts with a filter change to get up to mid stick.  Any higher than about 3/4 saturates the air cleaner with blow-by and drips on the side cover.
Do it now!

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »

Filling it up to the line is a good way to clean tha air filter on a regular basis...   >:(. Took me some POOOOFs to figure that out.  Little frustrating when it happens in a middle of a crowd that are staring with admiration at your bike...   :(

streetglider96

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »

May not answer the question of what is the propper oil level but I installed the digital oil temp dipstick works sweet and also shows oil level at a glance without removing (and at same level that the original dipstic shows).
SWEET! :orange:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 24 queries.