Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Another insurance thread  (Read 3450 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Another insurance thread
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »

Sorry guys but because of what happened with my bike breaking down 600 miles away from home I have been looking at my insurance policy and adding trip insurance from Progressive. While doing that I realized that all of the different coverages and levels of coverages are OVERWHELMING? How much is enough? Too much? Need, don't need? I noticed I don't have uninsured motorist or bodily injury on my policy, that seems a bit scary knowing how many idiots are out there?

So to sum it up I am looking to see what kind of insurance coverages you the vast majority here carry and what type of limits are the most common...

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
Re: Another insurance thread
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »

Here's mine with Geico:

2012 HARLEY FLHXSE3CVO
Bodily Injury Liability 
$63.00
$100,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence
Pays if you are responsible for another person's injury or death in an auto accident. It also pays for your legal defense.

Property Damage Liability 
$18.00
$50,000 per occurrence
Pays if you are responsible for damage to another person's property.

Medical Payments 
$56.00
$2,000 per occurrence
Pays medical expenses such as surgery, x-rays, ambulance, and physicians, regardless of who was at fault.

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury - Add-on 
$189.00
$100,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence
Pays your bodily injury damages that you would normally recover from the driver's insurance company.

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage - Add-on 
$49.00
$50,000 - $250 Ded.
Pays your bodily injury damages that you would normally recover from the driver's insurance company.

Comprehensive 
$82.00
Deductible: $250
Pays for damage to your vehicle not caused by collision, such as theft, flood, vandalism, explosion, and fire.

Collision 
$135.00
Deductible: $250
Pays for damages to your vehicle caused by a collision or when it overturns.

Towing and Labor 
$10.00
Non Deductible
Covers labor costs at place of disablement or transportation costs to repair facility.
Vehicle total 12 month premium: $602.00
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »

Very good questions all, Jesse.  As you see in these responses, you will see quotes all over the place.  Bundled with my homeowners and multi vehicle discount, my '12 runs around $320/year.  BUT, that's for Tennessee with next level of coverage above the state minimum, collision, uninsured motorist and rental car/towing.  You see from FLY's quote in Georgia, it's $602/year.  Insurance is regional/state regulated and can go all over the place depending on all kinds of factors.  You being in Iowa would be best to get others from the site that live in Iowa.  That way, you get the best comparison to what you currently have.

Good luck, brother.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »

I would suggest that you add uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Here in Texas, it's *almost required. That is to say, it's on there unless you actually sign a waiver to opt-out.
Personal Injury may be a good idea, it depends on cost, what and how they pay, limits etc.
It really depends on how you are covered for medical otherwise.
Your major medical policy and its deductibles are part of the equation. so many variables(!)
You really should have a sit-down with your insurance agent.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »

Man I love the forum, so much shared wealth. Thank you guys!  ;D

Just got off the phone with Progressive. Added roadside with trip interruption (15 a year would have covered 500 a day for my current breakdown! Lesson learned the hard way). Also bumped my bodily injury to 100/300/50 and added uninsured/underinsured motorist 100/300/50. Going to sleep better tonight and feel better riding my motorcycle home from 600 miles away after head work this Wednesday!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:55:17 PM by Jswerve »

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 05:16:03 PM »

It's not unreasonable to increase liability to 1 million or more. Fairly inexpensive nowadays. Its worth unless you don't have two nickels to rub together
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »

Mine is almost the same but the deductibles as fly-dog, I am with State Farm and mine is 510 per year.  My deductible is 500 across the board.  But that's for central Ohio   

Hog breath also has a good point I also carry a 1 million umbrella policy over the house which isn't that Much.  I still have one teen age boy driving and with business vehicles and one under 25 year old working for us driving it.  It gives me some extra protection if I would get sued. 

Todd. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:28:57 PM by tweeter13 »
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »

Mine is almost the same but the deductibles as fly-dog, I am with State Farm and mine is 510 per year.  My deductible is 500 across the board.  But that's for central Ohio   

Hog breath also has a good point I also carry a 1 million umbrella policy over the house which isn't that Much.  I still have one teen age boy driving and with business vehicles and one under 25 year old working for us driving it.  It gives me some extra protection if I would get sued. 

Todd.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind is accessory coverage - you know, for all the stuff we all add to the bike like custom painting, extra chrome, the list is endless. I have an additional 10k in accessory coverage on all my bikes because honestly that level is relatively easy to reach and the additional premium isn't that bad. 

On my CUSE6 the extra paint work, LED lighting mods, Speakers, extra chrome doo-dads, ect...  add up to pretty close to that above mentioned limit.
On '01 FLSTFI I have a stated value policy for the collision and theft since I have over 40K into a bike with a book value of about ?? what maybe 8-9K?? All I had to do was get an appraisal done and submit it along with photos to amend the policy to cover the bike for a 42K agreed value -- and of course pay the premium

Insurance is expensive-- until you need it.

I figure I'll pay for the best/most coverage I can afford --- and then hope I never need it.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »

Phato1 has a very good point.  When I get back from vacation with the family I am going to take the bike over to the insurance co and have them get me all up to snuff on that.  With all the other goodies that I have added I am not sure they will cover that stuff or not.  Good point I have never even thought about on my bike. 

Thanks
Todd.
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »

Phato1 has a very good point.  When I get back from vacation with the family I am going to take the bike over to the insurance co and have them get me all up to snuff on that.  With all the other goodies that I have added I am not sure they will cover that stuff or not.  Good point I have never even thought about on my bike. 

Thanks
Todd.

Todd I agree, real good points.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:31 PM »

I say get all you can afford that pays for anything medical related for you and your wife. We had Progressive, coverage on motorcycle was good but we were a little THIN on medical related things for us. Just as an example we had two Medivac Helicopter rides that cost $35,000 each.
So you can't have to much coverage
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 11:13:09 PM »

I say get all you can afford that pays for anything medical related for you and your wife. We had Progressive, coverage on motorcycle was good but we were a little THIN on medical related things for us. Just as an example we had two Medivac Helicopter rides that cost $35,000 each.
So you can't have to much coverage
Holy sheet.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 04:48:28 AM »

If you have multiple vehicles with the same carrier check into "stacking" your coverage's. This adds the coverage from the other vehicles together, for instance if you have a bike and a car with 300/500 when "stacked" you now have 600/1M. Like everything else there is a small charge but worth it when you need it.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:29 AM »

If you have multiple vehicles with the same carrier check into "stacking" your coverage's. This adds the coverage from the other vehicles together, for instance if you have a bike and a car with 300/500 when "stacked" you now have 600/1M. Like everything else there is a small charge but worth it when you need it.

OWL
I'm with usaa but they use progressive for motorcycles. I believe I can do this for all my cars though.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 20 queries.