Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: To WRAP or not?  (Read 3625 times)

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

To WRAP or not?
« on: July 16, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »

My 2008 SERK with " stage one" air ( just removed the back of the filter housing), cams and rhinehart true duals is burning my left leg. I recently added a T-max , one reason was to run a little fatter and hopefuly cooler, it is not as hot but still burningme. Hey Im 5-6 with big legs, and when I stop or my wife gets on the heat shield touches my leg and ..ouch.
I know I could get a new exhaust that doesnt have that big ass bend in it, one with anx pipe that crosses UNDER the bike,  but I just replaced the entire primary assembly and Id like to spend money on gas and refreshments rather than big money parts for awhile.
So I was thinking I might  remove the heat shield , wrap the exhaust, and put the heat sheild back on. Im also gonna get the engine vents, which will help, but believe me 80% of the heat is from the loop in the true duals.
anyone have experience in this, as in results?  I dont need a how to, but will take any pointers, such as how close to the 02s, etc.
Should I wrap both? will it make any differnce in the way the bike runs?
appreciatte anyoes input, thanks.
08 SERK, with bigger bump sticks, rhinehart true duels, and a T-max. diamond cut jugs and stuff.

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
Re: To WRAP or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »

Hope this helps.. I used exhaust wrap on my shovel just for the looks.. It did seem to make it not as hot. Different motor than T/C ... I think it would help.. Just wrap around the pipe and just go around the 02 sensor..   Air cooled motors are hot...  Good Luck...
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »

Be aware that many folks who wrapped their pipes later found "pipe rot" under that wrap.  So while you don't really want to spend money on different pipes, you may find yourself having to buy new pipes anyway in the not too distant future.

Changing to a cross under system like that on the late model Touring bikes isn't just a simple pipe change btw.  Other changes need to be made, like the oil pan, to allow clearance.  Have you ever considered a 2 into 1 pipe?  Your left leg definitely won't contact a hot pipe with that setup.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »

thanks for your replies and info.
Yeah IM considering an x pipe R/S only setup, but not until next year, I've had to put way to much money into this SERK since I bought it.
Didn't know about the oil pan, thanks. Didnt it come with 2-1 with uder bike crossover?
Think Ill wrap it and add the vents for this year, as long as its not actaully burning my leg like it is now Ill be ok.
08 SERK, with bigger bump sticks, rhinehart true duels, and a T-max. diamond cut jugs and stuff.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »

Be aware that many folks who wrapped their pipes later found "pipe rot" under that wrap.  So while you don't really want to spend money on different pipes, you may find yourself having to buy new pipes anyway in the not too distant future.

Changing to a cross under system like that on the late model Touring bikes isn't just a simple pipe change btw.  Other changes need to be made, like the oil pan, to allow clearance.  Have you ever considered a 2 into 1 pipe?  Your left leg definitely won't contact a hot pipe with that setup.

Jerry
Some 2-1's may be cooler but not mine. I have a 131 with a Boarzilla with quiet baffle. I wrapped the rear cylinder part of the pipe. It helped just enough to make some difference but if my right leg gets to close..ouch. And the hot spot is right at the bend off the rear cylinder. And I am roughly 5'6".

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »

Some 2-1's may be cooler but not mine. I have a 131 with a Boarzilla with quiet baffle. I wrapped the rear cylinder part of the pipe. It helped just enough to make some difference but if my right leg gets to close..ouch. And the hot spot is right at the bend off the rear cylinder. And I am roughly 5'6".
When I ran the D&D FatCat on my '07 it was hot as hell.  Only salvation was that it was all on one side, lol.

The ultimate solution was this cross-under header from Khromewerks:  http://www.khromewerks.com/High-Performance-Exhaust-1065-227-1.html

Installs with no mods required and really cooled things down.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »

I'd be ok if not for that fat bend in the rhinehart true duals on the rear cylinder. Im 5'6" as well. My right leg is fine.  Wife gets on from the left...always...thats 75% of when I get burned. The rest is from stopping on uneven grund stc.
BTW, I dont mean owch thats hot, Im talking a 3" x 1" burn , 2nd degree nice blisters and scarring. I have not recreated an actual burn since I aded the t-max. it is a little cooler, but I also am warry of the pipe.
Well  I couldn't let the bike fall over...so I just hung in there!
 Ill be careful when I start shopping for new pipes to not recreate the same problem on the R/S of the rear cylinder.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »

I posted up pics of the system I did for my own bike and now we have had many others have us do the same. Took a V&H head pipe( brand does not matter) silver ceramic coated inside and out Heat shields  coated both sides in ceramic black & mufflers coated as well. I can tell you that in 100 * temps the ex is ultra cool. I can ride the bike for 20 minutes come to a stop light rest my leg against the X in the pipe and not burn my leg.  My wife is so happy as the heat that used to warm the bottom of here shoe that then turned into over heating her right foot is long gone.

Wrapping a pipe is not a good idea it will rot the pipe.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »

Wrapping a pipe is not a good idea it will rot the pipe.

Agree...   :2vrolijk_21:

If you choose to wrap a pipe, plan on replacing the wrap often.  It has a short effective life span.  Try to remove it after a couple thousand miles - it will crumble in your hands as you take it off.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 09:23:45 PM »

When I ran the D&D FatCat on my '07 it was hot as hell.  Only salvation was that it was all on one side, lol.

The ultimate solution was this cross-under header from Khromewerks:  http://www.khromewerks.com/High-Performance-Exhaust-1065-227-1.html

Installs with no mods required and really cooled things down.   :2vrolijk_21:

Since that pipe from Kromeworks mounts below the trans pan and not tucked up behind it like the one for the later models, I've always just assumed it would severely reduce ground clearance and therefore never considered it myself for an older bike.  On a bike like the SEEG that is already short of ground clearance, I'd be afraid that round crossover pipe would quickly become a flattened crossover pipe unless I never rode on anything other than a super smooth highway.  Speed bumps would be a definite no-no, since the stock bike drags on those without a crossover hanging below the trans.

Did you find that to be the case on the '07 CUSE with standard height suspension, or was it a nonfactor?

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »

Since that pipe from Kromeworks mounts below the trans pan and not tucked up behind it like the one for the later models, I've always just assumed it would severely reduce ground clearance and therefore never considered it myself for an older bike.  On a bike like the SEEG that is already short of ground clearance, I'd be afraid that round crossover pipe would quickly become a flattened crossover pipe unless I never rode on anything other than a super smooth highway.  Speed bumps would be a definite no-no, since the stock bike drags on those without a crossover hanging below the trans.

Did you find that to be the case on the '07 CUSE with standard height suspension, or was it a nonfactor?

Jerry
Non-factor. Never had any problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:37 PM »

BTW, I dont mean owch thats hot, Im talking a 3" x 1" burn , 2nd degree nice blisters and scarring. I have not recreated an actual burn since I aded the t-max. it is a little cooler, but I also am warry of the pipe.

Dont worry about wrapping the pipe , wrap your leg .   ;D

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:19:47 AM »

I agree (first hand experience) with all these folks about (not) wrapping pipes.

During my '09 Build, GMR and some other knowledgeable types here, suggested the PolyDyn Coatings for the '09, it's kind of expensive, but really works as far as the heat you feel coming off of the pipes!!! If I would have known how good it works, I would have coated the inside of the heat shields also (maybe some day, if the bike is going to be on the rack for any length of time for some reason?)

Like GMR, I recommend coating the heat shields along with the pipe (at least at the curve on the rear cylinder of the Rinehearts

Even "The Ball & Chain" commented on how much cooler the (right side) of the '09 felt to her, and she doesn't hesitate to jump on the bike with shorts anymore.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »

Dont worry about wrapping the pipe , wrap your leg .   ;D

HAHA you are actually spot on. I ride with cargo pants shorts alot and that what I was wearing when I got burned. I rode this work am Long dickies pants, 67 deg, 30 miles. had my leg against the heatshied and it wasnt hot enough for me to pull away imeadiatly. Im sure that woud be differnt on a normal riding day of 85 deg and wife on back.

I'm aware of the possible problems with  wrapping, Im looking into titanium wrap. that may help, however the real problem with any  wrap is the trapped air/ moisture in between the pipe and the insulation.--- leading to pipe rot as others have pointed out. I'm familiar with this from my car experience.
I am also now concerned about ground clearance,  should I go with a pipe with a cross over. thanks to those who brought that up. that will help me plan better.
It seems shameful that I may wrap a pipe and possibly ruin it for one season of riding. 
Wearing long pants every ride is not an option. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »

Wearing long pants every ride is not an option.

To each his own, but I would never ride in anything less than a pair of heavyweight jeans and real riding boots.  When I see people riding in shorts and sneakers or flip-flops or similar footwear I assume they are newbies that haven't had their first "git off" yet and haven't learned any better.  You have personally found one of the other common problems associated with riding with bare skin exposed.  Passengers tended to be the ones that suffered burns from exhaust pipes more than riders back in the day, when guys would give rides to kids or girl friends who weren't regular passengers on bikes.  I don't let the wife get on my bike in anything less than jeans, riding boots, gloves, jacket, and a helmet - same stuff I wear.  Can it be uncomfortable in 90° weather?  Sure it can.  Is it more uncomfortable than a second or third degree burn, or a case of road rash?  Absolutely not.

JMHO - Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.