Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: info on new lifters  (Read 9451 times)

Money Penny

info on new lifters
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »

What lifters are you guys using?  What are the bests for a 2011RG cvo ultra    how about cams?

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
Re: info on new lifters
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 12:38:33 AM »

S&S lifters.  Lotsa cams to choose from.  Best to get with your mechanic and go over cam options.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:31:03 AM »

Yes, S&S lifters are what we use here day in/day out.
Cams? Did you say cams??
There are more cams available than leaves on the ground this time of year, and some are touted to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and are more powerful than a speeding locomotive also...............
Scott

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »

S&S here too on the lifters.give us alittle more info on where your wanting the power and giving advice on cams would be a lot easier

mark

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »

I have a question too.  The CVO 110 comes with the SE 255 cam if I'm not mistaken.  It's designed for low end torque.  If one rides 75-80 on the highway, two-up, and doesnt have a need for a lot if torque/hp at high RPMs, is there a cam better than the stock 255? 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

I have a question too.  The CVO 110 comes with the SE 255 cam if I'm not mistaken.  It's designed for low end torque.  If one rides 75-80 on the highway, two-up, and doesnt have a need for a lot if torque/hp at high RPMs, is there a cam better than the stock 255?

I doubt it...

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

JohnCA58

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »

Its already there,  so it is cheap.....  and known as the school bus cams,   IMO they do require a good tune.  I've had two CVO's tuned by Bob at RC cycles and had both say the difference was like night and day afterward and neither have talk about cam changes since. 

Money Penny

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »

Do a lot of rides two up.  the power seams fine for what I do.  I just thought that if I am in there, should it be something I do? Thank guys   I will do the cam upgrade to SS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 08:09:35 AM »

Its already there,  so it is cheap.....  and known as the school bus cams,   IMO they do require a good tune.  I've had two CVO's tuned by Bob at RC cycles and had both say the difference was like night and day afterward and neither have talk about cam changes since.

RC Cycles. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »

S&S premium lifters 24 D cams. I ride 2 up also, live near the Dragon, plenty of tq for the mountains, quiet, and excellent on the Interstate. There are many other really good cams, just posting what my experience is in my CVO. Whatever way you go a quality tune is paramount.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »

Do a lot of rides two up.  the power seams fine for what I do.  I just thought that if I am in there, should it be something I do? Thank guys   I will do the cam upgrade to SS

Before you waste money, go out and pay attention to what RPM you really run YOUR bike in. 3000 RPM in 6th gear is 80 MPH. Most camshafts sold today attempt to move the power curve up the RPM scale into an area that most riders very rarely use. IF you are like most riders you will find that you spend 95% of your riding between idle and 3500 RPM. IMHO picking a camshaft that looses power in that range doesn't seem like a good choice, especially when you ride two up.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »

The lifters are not up to the task in a stock cvo. Construction, tolerances and materials are sub-par. I have tested all of them. Leakdown is one telltale sign of quality. The stock lifter leaks in half the time as an s&s or the premium lifters I carry.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »

If you keep the stock 255 cam, then you should invest in new cam bearings while you're in there.  They should also measure your crank run-out with the cam chest out.  Cranks are know to be problematic and best to check the play while you're in there.

2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

If you keep the stock 255 cam, then you should invest in new cam bearings while you're in there.  They should also measure your crank run-out with the cam chest out.  Cranks are know to be problematic and best to check the play while you're in there.
If you're not changing to gear driven cams why check the runout you're just going to confirm it sucks lol

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »

while the HD runout spec is 0.012", I wouldn't run it past 0.005".  If you 0.005" or worse then time to for bottom end work and best to catch it early IMHO
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 25 queries.