Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rear shock comparison  (Read 4779 times)

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Rear shock comparison
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »

Can someone here give me a comparison between the ohlins #6 and bitubo? Biting seems to be a little cheaper but I really don't know anything about them.

I would be putting them on a 15 CVORGU.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: Rear shock comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

Can't provide a performance comparison between the two Afdharley, but multiple riders on the forum have the Bitubo shocks (including me), as well as the Ohlins. Difficult to determine which is superior or by how much, but I don't think you can go wrong with either compared to stock. You can call Howard on the Ohlins or Dan at Traxxion - you'll learn more than you ever need to know about shocks...

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:16:54 PM »

I've emailed with Howard but had not heard of bitubo until joining here. I do agree tho, just about anything will be better than the stock HD system.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »

Shocks,
Worst ever were air low profile on my 09 SERG
Second worst were Air on 15 SERGU.

Pretty good Progressive 944 I put on the 09 SERG

About the same as progressive were the Profile low hand adjsutable on my 12 SERG and 13 SERK

Best I have had, Ohlin HD-159 on my 15 SERGU

Ohlin are so much better than the progressive I had I am now looking to add them to my 13 SERK.

I also hear nothing but good about the Bitubo. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »

At the moment leaning heavily towards the Ohlins #6. Just need to let the bank account recover from the bike purchase and Xmas.

Thanks

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:47:51 AM »

At the moment leaning heavily towards the Ohlins #6. Just need to let the bank account recover from the bike purchase and Xmas.

Thanks

That's the direction I went, Ohlins #6 from Howard. I hope to have them in hand in a week or so, and I know ALL about letting the bank account recover.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:06:12 AM »

Great reading on Howard's site about shocks. I keep reading how so many people change them out. All I've ever ridden is the stock shocks. Time to do more research. I see the Ohlins #6 referenced and the HD-159 (3 variaties of that on Ohlin's site). I need to keep reading more.

http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage26.html
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »

Thanks
26000 miles on mine and absolutely love them!! Sent them back to Howard to have them rebuilt (lost a bunch of weight so he had to change them around) a few months ago so put the stockers back on and forgot how much of a difference they make. like riding 2 different bikes!
Alan

b407driver

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:21:47 PM »

Great reading on Howard's site about shocks. I keep reading how so many people change them out. All I've ever ridden is the stock shocks. Time to do more research. I see the Ohlins #6 referenced and the HD-159 (3 variaties of that on Ohlin's site). I need to keep reading more.

http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage26.html

The best you've ridden is the best you know!

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »

That is a really great question.  I'm on my second set of Bitubo's with the attached cartridge,  I put them on my 08 SERK almost immediately as the 1.9" of travel is a joke.  I ordered the 13" to replace the 12" which helped greatly.  I have not had the pleasure of using another brand so I can't be of much help on the comparison, and I'm not one of those guys that will tell you that since I have them they are the best.  I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'm getting real tired of removing the bags to adjust the shocks for different loads.  To get the most from your suspension it has to be set up for you and that is where Howard is helpful.  I have a setting for adjusting pre-load, compression & dampening depending on the type of riding I will be doing.  I do the same with my tires.  It's time consuming but depending on how far you are going you will find your sweet spot and it will help you enjoy your ride.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »

For an optimal suspension, the front and rear have to play well together.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'm getting real tired of removing the bags to adjust the shocks for different loads./quote]

I was all set to order a set of Ohlins. The hassle of removing both bags every time my wife rides with me led me to purchase the HD Premium Hand Adjustable 13" shocks. Now I just have to unfasten the left bag and balance it on my thigh while I turn the knob. Though not as great a shock as you guys are comparing, they are certainly better then the stock air ride system. The 50 miles I rode with them made a difference. The snow and cold has arrived so that ended the test until spring.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »

Delta,

There is no comparison between the HD shocks you mentioned versus the significant improvement the Bitubo's or the Ohlin's would deliver.  I know use a cotton glove so I don't scratch the bags but I can squeeze my hand in their to adjust the compression and dampening without taking off the bags.  Unfortunately the preload needs a special wrench, but I bet one could be made to adjust the preload without taking off the bags.  I just gave myself another project I don't have the time for but it can be done.  And I forgot to mention that improving the front as well as the rear suspension need to work together.  Just my opinion but to many people put so much emphasis on increasing the power without a thought to increasing the poor suspension the Moco gives us.  A good touring bike should have 4 1/2" of rear wheel travel and up for a decent ride.  The Moco is sending some of their top bikes out with 2.1" of rear wheel travel, what a shame.   

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »

For just touring do the shocks make that big of a difference that it is worth tossing the OEM on day one?  Just wondering...

I guess the only way to find out would be for me to test spin one with aftermarkets.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »

Yes it makes a huge difference.

For just touring do the shocks make that big of a difference that it is worth tossing the OEM on day one?  Just wondering...

I guess the only way to find out would be for me to test spin one with aftermarkets.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.